Condo Board Resign Looking to Help Fill Vacated Seat

T.S. from Illinois writes:

Dear Mister Condo,

I resigned from our Board in August and the present board have not filled the empty seat. Our by-laws require us to have 5 members. I was told I can request a “special meeting” to have that seat filled. How do I go about doing this? And am I required to get someone to fill this seat? Or can the present board put one of themselves in that spot which 2 are up for re-election in March or do they need to get someone? Thank you!

Mister Condo replies:

T.S., I am sorry you needed to resign from your Board. Quite frankly, once you resigned from the Board, none of this is your problem anymore. For the remaining Board members, they simply need to review the governance documents and follow the procedure for filling your vacated seat. Typically, the seated Board has the power to appoint a qualified candidate to fill the vacancy. Some condo documents do call for a special election or call for the vacancy to be filled at the next regularly scheduled election. Either way, it is a fairly straightforward process. It would be unlikely that you would be required to get someone to fill your seat but I am sure the remaining Board members would be open to any suggestions you may have to help them find an interested candidate. Good luck to you and your Board!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *