Condominium Legal

House to Condo : Condo to House Question


L.H. from Fairfield County writes:

Dear Mister Condo,

I own all 3 units in a 3-condo building that was originally a 3-family house. For tax purposes, I would like to convert back to a 3-family house without using a lawyer. The condo documents state that I can just vote to dissolve the condo association. Do you know what my next steps would be?

Mister Condo replies:

L.H., as you know, I am not an attorney. While I appreciate your desire to be frugal and not hire an attorney to assist you, I strongly recommend that you do. That being said, I did check with one of my attorney friends for an answer that should guide you quite nicely. Please note that this attorney also recommended you seek legal counsel to assist. Here’s what my friend had to offer:

“The next step would be to sign a document that explains the steps you took to terminate the condominium in front of a notary and two witnesses.  It must also specify a deadline for filing it in the land records after which it will be void, and then you must actually file it by that deadline.  You would be wise to reconsider getting a lawyer involved because the document should contain the same level of legal detail as a deed (such as a description of the property’s boundaries, volume and page references to the original declaration and amendments, and citations to the relevant statutes) and there may also be additional requirements in your bylaws, tax implications, zoning consequences, or prohibitions under the terms of your mortgage that you haven’t thought about.”

3 thoughts on “House to Condo : Condo to House Question”

  1. To the writer who wishes to convert a 3 family without a lawyer, we, who do this for a living, applaud you. When you are finished, i predict that we will have employment opportunities to fix what you have done.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *