Condominium Financial Reserve Fund Taxes

How to Handle Tax on HOA Reserve Fund Interest


Anonymous from New Haven County writes:

Dear Mister Condo,

Federal tax law specifies that Reserve funds and operating expenses cannot be co-mingled.  Does that apply even when we don’t make enough in interest income?

Mister Condo replies:

I know better than to tackle an accounting question without checking in with one of my expert friends. I reached out to my friend Sam Tomasetti, CPA of Tomasetti, Kulas & Company, P.C. for his advice. Here’s what he had to say:

Except for very unusual circumstances, tax law requires that interest income earned on funds held by qualifying homeowners associations be subject to tax no matter how much or little income is earned.  However, tax law also allows a 100% statutory exemption and the ability to offset the cost of earning income with the income. Simply stated the tax is calculated on net income not gross income.

I hope that helps! All the best!

2 thoughts on “How to Handle Tax on HOA Reserve Fund Interest”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *