M.A. from Fairfield County, Connecticut writes:
Dear Mister Condo,
Hi, can you advise if asbestos is found in the kitchen lanolin floor in a condo unit, is the unit owner responsible for its removal and cost to dispose? I believe because it’s in the unit, it’s the owner’s responsibility. Can you confirm?
Mister Condo replies:
M.A., since asbestos-based building materials haven’t been around for quite some time, I am going to assume this is an older building you are talking about. The removal of the asbestos and associated costs are likely the unit owner’s responsibility. In this case, that’s you! If the building were recently converted from some other use and became a condo, there may have been some certifications made by the developer that the building was asbestos-free. In that case, you may have an action against the developer for false certification that the building was asbestos free. Either way, get that asbestos out of your home. It is a known carcinogen. All the best!