Condominium HOA Legal Property Management

Licenses Required to Work at Connecticut Condo or HOA

S.D. from Hartford County writes:

Dear Mister Condo,

I work for a Property Management company that is based out of Texas. The property is owned by one company but managed by another. Its located here in CT. The property is split with both condo-owned units along with rented units. Our HOA side is managed by someone separate who holds their CAM license. My question is, what licenses do I need to have if any while working onsite at our CT property? I do show and rent units along with leasing. Thank you for any enlightenment on this situation.

Mister Condo replies:

S.D., unless you are actually managing a community association in Connecticut, I am unaware of your need for a Connecticut Community Association Manager license. The type of work you are actually doing while in the state would determine what license(s), if any, are required. It sounds like you are functioning as a real estate agent, which does require a license. If you are uncertain, you can check the state’s website at you can research the work you are doing against the state’s licensing requirements. Other than that, check with your employer. I’m sure they don’t want you doing any work on their behalf without the appropriate license that would make them vulnerable to being sued. All the best!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *