K.K. from Hartford County, Connecticut writes:
Dear Mister Condo,
Recently, in our community some units had roof water leak reported and the association had those repaired. The roofing company checked attic of some of the units and some they inspected from outside. In a month, one of the home owners reached HOA and mentioned that she was sick and undergoing treatment for fungus in her respiratory system and she need her attic professionally inspected for mold. According to the home owner, the Doctor told that the fungal infection is due to mold. The home owner did a mold test using a mold test kit bought from Lowes and it reported positive. I would like to know what is the right thing an HOA has to do in this case and also there is any legal implications.
Mister Condo replies:
K.K., since I am not an attorney, I cannot comment on legal implications. I will tell you that homeowners in similar situations have often hired an attorney, sued their association, and won judgment against the association for failing to remediate the mold after a water intrusion event. That would be my advice to your fellow homeowner. I am truly sorry that any homeowner is dealing with health consequences because of mold. It can be deadly and it needs to be taken seriously. The Board should inspect any and all areas suspect of mold growth and have it remediated as soon as possible. Good luck to you and your fellow homeowners. Mold is not a matter to be taken lightly. All the best!