Common Fees Condominium Financial Governance Insurance

Who Has to Buy Condo Flood Insurance?


J.W. from Middlesex County writes:

Dear Mister Condo,

Do I need to purchase my own flood insurance for my condo in a special flood hazard area?

Mister Condo replies:

J.W., this is a question that is near and dear to my heart. Many condo dwellers in Connecticut, including me, are finding themselves in the precarious situation of living in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) for the first time since FEMA remapped the region within the past few years. Ideally, your flood insurance will be purchased by your condominium association and the associated costs of that insurance passed along to unit owners. However, if the association does not purchase flood insurance, you may find that you need to purchase it on your own. Mortgage lenders will surely require you to provide proof of flood insurance if you live in a SFHA. Ask your Board or Property Manager if Flood Insurance is in place. If not, talk with your local insurance professional and purchase the flood insurance that is right for you.

2 thoughts on “Who Has to Buy Condo Flood Insurance?”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *