Buying Condominium Insurance

Whose Insurance is Responsible for the Interior Repair of my Condo?


B.Y. from New Haven County writes:

Dear Mister Condo,

I am getting ready to close on an owner-occupied condo purchase. In shopping around for Homeowners/Condo insurance I have been quoted “dwelling coverage” from $5k to $100k in the quotes I have received. What portion of the interior of the unit would be my responsibility or my homeowner’s insurance’s responsibility to reconstruct in the event of some type of disaster? Thanks!

Mister Condo replies:

B.Y., all insurance policies are not created equal and the definition of unit interiors can be quite broad when it comes to what’s covered and what’s not in the event of disaster or any type of claim. Your best bet is to have your insurance professional request a copy of the association’s policy and then recommend the best type of coverage for your peace of mind. Typically, the association’s policy covers the original building materials in the event of a disaster. However, if the roof was to leak and the contents of your unit were damaged, you may find a leaky roof is not considered a disaster and none of your interior contents are covered. The association’s insurance may fix the roof but your furniture and belongings would typically be covered by your homeowner’s policy. If you can afford a more inclusive policy (for instance the $100K coverage you mentioned) I’d wholeheartedly recommend you purchase a policy that would cover as much of your interior as possible. That way, in the event of a true disaster, you would have your own insurance to fall back on should the association’s insurance prove to be deficient for your rebuilding needs. All the best and stay safe!

2 thoughts on “Whose Insurance is Responsible for the Interior Repair of my Condo?”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *